Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saturday, June 21

Today is the summer solstice...the longest day of the year. I'm loving these long days, with lots of daylight.

We were up at 7 a.m., so Hubbie could get ready to go help the Master Gardeners work at a public garden. Right after breakfast, I did stair stepping, resistance band, and weights...both arm and leg...exercises. This time, I was careful not to drop a weight on my foot, which already has a nice big bruise on it.

Before I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I went to Mother's house to accompany her to our house.  She went to her jigsaw puzzle, while I got dressed. I spent the rest of the morning doing household chores, including laundry.

I also researched our state's game and fish commission site online to see if there was anyone who rescued animals. Yesterday, both Hubbie and I noticed three juvenile raccoons wandering around on a plot of land near our house. A few minutes earlier, we saw a dead raccoon on the side of the road. We figured this was the mama raccoon. Racoons are nocturnal animals, but these are too young to know to stay hidden during the day. We saw the animals again today, so I thought they needed help.

At the game and fish site, there is a list of animal rehabilitators, and one of them lives in our area. So Hubbie called him, and he was interested in collecting the animals. He didn't arrive for a couple of hours, though, and by the time he got here, the animals were in hiding, so we didn't find them. The rehabilitator said that he would come right away if we saw the raccoons again.

By now, it was lunchtime. Mother had her usual soup, and Hubbie and I ate leftover egg casserole from last night. Mother went back to her puzzle afterward, and Hubbie and I ran errands...to the post office to mail a birthday card to Great-Granddaughter, and to the WDCS for groceries for the weekend.

Back home, we relaxed and did this and that. Hubbie couldn't go out to the yard, because it began thundering, and it is said that if you can hear thunder, then you can be struck by lightning.

Later, for supper, Hubbie and I had turkey burgers, and Mother had a hot dog. Served the meal with salads and chips. Mother helped make the salads, and she pattied the meat.

Soon after supper, Mother was ready to go home, so Hubbie accompanied her. I went to her house around 8:30 to put drops in her eyes. Only thing was, I stupidly forgot to take the drops with me! We had a good laugh over that.

Hubbie and I spent the evening enjoying big bowls of popcorn, glasses of wine, and watching episodes of "The Forsyte Saga."



0 comments: