Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday, July 14

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to water aerobics. Muggy morning for the drive to the college. Had to detour through the parking lot in front of the chapel again to get to the parking lot near the gym, since road workers still have that four-way stop torn up.


The water was chillier today than it was Friday, so it took a while to get used to it. But I had a good workout. Road work seems to be the order of the day, because it was happening on the road home, too, where I was stopped for a while, as a road grader did its job on one of the lanes. Got back home around 9 a.m.


Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house shortly after I returned. I washed green beans, and she and Hubbie snapped them while I got ready for the day.


Mother diced an onion and a few banana peppers, which I added to the beans, along with cans of chicken and beef broths, and spices. I simmered the beans for a while.


Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle after that, and I called the other two members of our scrapbook club to remind them of our meeting this Thursday. Whenever I call the ladies, I make sure I have plenty of time to chat, because they both like to talk, which is understandable, since they are both widows. They both have family close by, and they lead very active lives, but I imagine it still gets pretty lonely when they are at home, so they welcome phone calls.


After lunch...Ramen noodle soup for Mother, and burgers for Hubbie and me...we didn't accomplish much for the afternoon. Mid-afternoon I started a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering, adding a can of diced tomatoes, and a couple of scoops of beans and ham.


As I was making the sauce, Hubbie's niece and great-niece dropped by. Niece was returning an ice chest we loaned her for Great-Niece's birthday party. They visited for a while, and then went grocery shopping, because Great-Niece wanted a watermelon.


Not long after I got the sauce started, a thunderstorm cropped up. It got very dark. Lightning and thunder soon followed, along with a call telling us a severe thunderstorm was imminent. No kidding. The storm dropped an inch of rain, but fortunately our power stayed on.


Later, I cooked macaroni for the sauce, and we had the pasta with helpings of the green beans, and a side of cottage cheese. After supper, I bagged some of the beans, and a couple of jars of the sauce, for the freezer.


When Mother was ready to go home after supper, Hubbie accompanied her, then he and I watched episodes of "The Good Wife." Around 8:30, one of the scrapbook club members called to say a friend had died over the weekend, and there is to be a memorial service on Thursday afternoon, so she will not be able to come to the meeting.


Went to Mother's house after the phone call to put drops in her eyes.

















0 comments: