Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tuesday, July 1

The first day of July...what I consider the beginning of summer. The temperature soared, and the humidity was so thick I felt like I needed to cut my way through it with a machete.

I'm in one of those spells when I either have trouble going to sleep, or I wake up in the wee hours of the morning and can't go back to sleep. Today , I awoke at 4:30, and lay there until Hubbie got up at 7:30.

I did stair stepping, resistance band, and weights exercises after breakfast, though. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30, and she tore down and boxed a bunch of jigsaw puzzles that had been accumulating on the spare room bed. I needed that bed cleared for Daughter, who is coming for a holiday visit this weekend.

Did this and that around the house until noon, including purging a closet of video cassettes to make room for photo albums. I have many, many now useless video cassettes that I don't know how to get rid of. For now, they'll be housed in the shed.

After a lunch of leftovers, I finally got out of my exercise clothes and into decent clothes for running errands. Mother went to her puzzle, while Hubbie and I went to town.

We went first to the flooring warehouse down the road..the one damaged by the tornado..to look at tile for the sunroom. I saw a pattern I like, but we are not ready to purchase yet.

From there we stopped by the bank, and then swung by the farmer's market where, unfortunately, there were no vendors today. We'll try again tomorrow.

While we were in the area, though, we drove to where the bridge washed out in the April storms. It's on the road that runs alongside the riverside park. Road workers were there today building a new bridge, which our local newspaper reported they hope to finish in time for this weekend's July 4 festivities. It'll certainly be a traffic nightmare if they don't.

Our last stop was the WDCS for a few groceries for us, and some household items for Mother. Too bad I didn't think to check my baking potato supply, because soon after we got back home, Hubbie had to turn around and go to the nearest grocery store to get a bag of them.

At the WDCS, we hoped to get a refund for a carton of cottage cheese we bought yesterday that I discovered at home had been tampered with...the plastic seal had been peeled back as though someone had sampled it. Yuk.

But the store clerk said we needed to bring the carton in. Couldn't do that since we had already disposed of it. In the past, we've been told not to bring food items back to the store. I can't keep up with their changing policies.

Later, at home, Mother and I prepared beef and veggies for supper. She sliced bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and then she and I cut beef into strips. I seasoned and sauteed the beef and veggies, then added beef broth and let it simmer for a while.

Meanwhile, Hubbie made me nervous trying to shut the power off in the downstairs bathroom, and then change a light bulb that broke off and was hanging precariously in its metal rim. It's dark as pitch in that room, so he had to use both our emergency lamp and a flashlight to see that light fixture in the ceiling. Even then, the bulb smashed to the floor. And the rim was stuck in the socket, so it was hard to remove. But he finally succeeded
and got down off that ladder.

Some days don't run smoothly, and today was one of those. I opened a can of chicken broth instead of beef broth before I realized my mistake. Then, around 4 p.m., I discovered that the potatoes Hubbie had scrubbed, had never made it to the oven. So supper was delayed an hour while they baked.

I'll blame lack of sleep on my errors. Or maybe it was the call from our friend at the computer store telling me it would take a couple of hundred dollars to repair my outdated laptop, and he doesn't think it's worth it. I don't think so, either. So I'll be making a trip to the store tomorrow to look for a new one.

Right after supper, a thunderstorm cropped up, which knocked cable services out. Thankfully, we didn't lose power, though. So I ran a movie on DVD borrowed from the library. It's titled, "Fern Hill," a family film about four adolescent boys who set out to locate the plane that one boy's father died in eight years earlier.

The storm blew over by the time the movie ended, so Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house. Then we watched one-hour shows recorded on DVR.




0 comments: