Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday Outing and Ball Games

After missing three days of exercise this week, I was anxious to get on the treadmill this morning. I'm always more energized after a workout.





Once I was ready for the day, Hubbie and I went to the greeting card shop, where I picked up a retirement card for our Extension Services agent, who will be honored at a party next week before she leaves the job in January. We Extension Homemakers members will really miss this special lady, who has been so helpful to our organization. She is a relatively young woman, only in her 50s, but she needs to stay home and take care of her mother, who is in ill health and needs constant attention.





From the card shop, we went to the WDCS to shop for groceries and incidentals for Thanksgiving. While I was there, I picked up what I thought was a cheap pair of glasses to use with my new laptop. There was no price listed on the glasses, but I figured they'd be no more than $5, so I was surprised when the clerk rang them up at nearly $20! I went ahead and paid for them, but I'll be taking them back for a refund on my next trip.



It was nearly noon by the time we got back home from shopping. At 1:30 p.m., Mother and I went to a jewelry party, held by one of the Master Gardeners, who sells a variety of pieces, including some that she makes herself.



A small group gathered in her living room, where the host led us in games of Bingo for jewelry prizes. I won two games and chose a diamond-like circle on a silver chain for myself, and then let Mother choose a prize for my second win. She doesn't wear jewelry, so she chose a chunk of sparkling amethyst rock to set in her kitchen window.



I also bought a pair of very pretty, brown, cat's eyes earrings that will work well with a blown glass pendant piece that Hubbie gave me.



The hostess served a tasty pumpkin/cranberry bread, snack crackers topped with cream cheese and sliced fresh strawberries, and fresh veggies and dip, and punch to drink, served in a very pretty, small punch bowl that she said she got at a local antique shop.



The hostess also provided a radio, and from time-to-time, we listened for the score of our state's favorite college football team. At home, Hubbie and I continued listening to the nail-biter game that ended in a heart-breaking loss for our team.



Before Mother and I came home, we stopped by a wholesale store, where I found a pair of glasses for $1.97. I won't make a fashion statement in them, but they are just fine to use with my laptop.



For supper tonight, Mother fixed a very tasty turkey noodle soup, fashioned after a recipe she saw on a TV morning show. Here's her version:



Turkey Noodle Soup



1 lb. ground turkey (the original recipe calls for leftover cooked turkey)

1 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove chopped (she used the equivalent of garlic in a jar)

1 quart-size box low-sodium chicken broth, (or two cans of broth)

1 and 1/2 cups uncooked noodles

1 can carrots, drained and rinsed

1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (original recipe doesn't drain the beans)

1 tsp. thyme



Saute' turkey until meat turns white; add onion and garlic and saute' until onions are translucent. Add broth, noodles, carrots, beans, and thyme. Cook until noodles are done.



This soup was very satisfying, served with grilled Swiss cheese sandwiches.



Later, Hubbie and I listened to the radio, as our favorite college basketball team played in another nail-biter that also ended in a loss.

0 comments: