Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday, June 25

We slept in this morning, not getting up until nearly 8 a.m. After breakfast, I did a treadmill session and weights exercises. After that, I just did this and that around the house until lunch time. I only ate a bowl of fresh fruit for lunch, since Mother and I were scheduled to weigh in at Weight Watchers this evening.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the grocery store offering frozen veggies ten packages for $10, because Mother wanted some. I picked up another ten packages for our freezer, too. Hubbie had put ice into one of our ice chests so that we could store the veggies while we continued our rounds.

From the grocery store, we stopped by a pharmacy that advertised transport chairs on sale (these are lightweight wheelchairs). I wanted to know what their Medicare policy was regarding the chairs. I was advised it would probably be better for us to go to one of the medical supply places to get one under Medicare.

So I went to another store...a pharmacy/medical supplies business...where I was assured that with a prescription from Mother's doctor, a chair could be provided. Medicare will pay for the rental of the chair for 13 months, at the end of which Mother would own the chair. Her supplemental insurance should cover whatever Medicare doesn't pay.

So from that store, we went to the doctor's office to request a prescription for the chair from Mother's physician. She is out of the office today, but we were assured she could write the prescription Monday. So early next week, we should be able to get the chair. We will need it for a couple of upcoming trips, because Mother has trouble walking any distance these days.

From there, we went to a home supplies business, where Hubbie spent a gift card to get garden watering supplies. Then we went to the WDCS for groceries and incidentals that we forgot when we were there yesterday.

We were back home around 3 p.m. Later, I did preliminary things for our supper tonight...washing and putting potatoes in the oven, slicing tomatoes and Vidalia onions and tearing lettuce for BLT's, and opening a can of whole kernel corn for the microwave. Mother won't join us tonight. She usually eats at home of Thursdays.

The scale wasn't kind to me tonight. I've gained three pounds. Too many family get-togethers in May and June finally caught up to me. So it's back to a more rigorous diet regimen for me! It's proof that I can never let my guard down...any stray morsel of food goes straight to fat on me. Mother lost a pound. I think being sick with a cold and bronchitis dulled her appetite. Apparently, nothing dulls my appetite.

At the eagle's nest: the wind was strong enough this evening to sway the tree and rock the nest a little. The mother brought a fish and laid it on the nest floor, but the baby didn't attempt to eat it. Finally, the mother helped him with it.

After supper, Hubbie and I watched the movie "1408," a spooky tale by Stephen King, rated PG-13, and starring John Cusak and Samuel L. Jackson. Cusak plays an occult writer. In pursuit of activity at an old hotel, he insists on staying in a haunted room (1408), with the intention of debunking paranormal activity there.

Note: It was sad that Farrah Fawcett died of cancer at just 62 years old, and shocking that Michael Jackson died of a heart attack at only 50 years old. We hated to hear of Ed McMahon's death yesterday, but it could be expected at his more advanced age of 86.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

I saw "1408" awhile back. It sure was an eerie movie!

Sixty Something said...

Yes it was. From time-to-time, I like to watch spine-tinglers, and this certainly was one!