Friday, February 5, 2010

Thursday, February 5

Got up at 7:30 and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast.

As soon as I was ready for the day, I called the vision center at the WDCS to see if Mother's eyeglasses were in yet. They were not. I was advised that they might come in this afternoon or tomorrow. We waited for a call, hoping they would come in this afternoon, since Mother is so anxious to get them. They didn't. Boo.

Mother stayed home today doing whatever projects she had lined up. I occupied myself doing a tax report of my 2009 income and expenses as an artist-in-education. My earnings were skimpy last year, and my expenses were high, thanks to buying a new digital camera. So I'll take a loss. Things should look up this year, though, since I've been asked to do two sessions...one at a local middle school in the spring, and one at a science museum in our capital city in the summer.

When I finished my report, I did some filing and organizing in my office. Then Hubbie and I had soups (chicken for me, 11-bean for him) and crackers, and an orange, for lunch. We didn't do a lot after lunch. Hubbie watched ball games, and I played on my upstairs computer and read magazines. It was a nasty, rainy day, so it felt good to stay snug in our house and just goof off. I did make a bowl of Jell-o with mixed fruit and banana to have with supper, though.

However, I decided that this evening Hubbie and I should go to the movie theater to see "Avatar." Hubbie had been saying he wasn't particularly interested in the film, but reviews from family convinced me we should see it. I'm glad we did. It is a very good movie, made more realistic because of the 3-D effects. Hubbie was as enchanted with it as I was. The jungle-like backgrounds are beautiful, and the characters are believable. Viewers quickly side with the plight of the "people," who are set upon by humans.

After a supper of leftover chili, I continued a search for a newspaper article with my grandson's name as one of his school's archery team that will compete this weekend. Daughter-in-Law thought it would be in the regular part of the Sunday paper, but I searched that paper over and over and turned up nothing.

So this evening, I decided to check the online edition of the paper, where I discovered that the article was in a supplement edition that is not included in our paper. So I copied and pasted the article to an email for Daughter-in-law.

By this time, it was 6:45, and the movie was scheduled to start at 7 p.m. So off we went. It was still rainy...and cold...when we arrived at the theater. We wore heavy coats, and I wore my gloves. I also took a couple of throws into the theater. Good thing, because when Hubbie bought our tickets, the ticket seller warned that the theater "Avatar" was shown in was cold, because the heating unit wasn't working.

Just inside the door of the theater was an electric heater. We opted to sit in seats as close to the heater as possible. I left my gloves on, and Hubbie and I both tucked the throws around our legs. So we were pretty comfortable. I hope the other eleven folks in the theater were warm enough, too.

I'd made trail mix for us to snack on, which I carried, along with bottles of water, in my purse. Because of my allergies and heart problems, I don't dare eat the snacks sold at the theater. Besides, at the price charged for 3-D movies ($8.50 each), we don't want to spring for refreshments, too. Usually, we get senior discount admissions, but not for 3-D movies.

We got back home around 10 p.m., watched the news, and headed to bed.

0 comments: