Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday, Nov. 20

Up around 7 a.m., but skipped my exercises again, s I could put a beef roast with veggies into the slow cooker right after breakfast. The first thing I discovered was that I needed more carrots, onions, and potatoes, so Hubbie went to the nearest grocery store to get some.

Once the roast was cooking, I did the usual Sunday chores, as well as uploading snapshots from yesterday to my social network page.

Lunch was good, except the roast was tough. I've tried every cut of meat, but rarely find tender beef. That might be because I avoid the marbled cuts.

After lunch, Mother opted to nap while Hubbie and I went to one of the colleges to act as ushers for the community theater production of "The Curious Savage," (announced in our local newspaper as "The Christmas Savage").

This 1950 play revolves around an elderly widow, whose husband left her ten million dollars. Her three stepchildren, wanting to get their hands on the money, have her committed to a "sanatorium," until she comes to her senses and tells them where the fortune in bonds is hidden. A cast of nutty but lovable people inhabit the sanatorium, and the elderly woman becomes attached to them.

This comedy might have been palatable performed by more professional actors, but as it was, it came off as amateurish as a high school play. The set was substandard, too, with blue paper stapled to flats, and paper curtains.

This is the first production by the new group of folks now in charge of the theater (I rolled off the board a couple of months ago). The cast included the director of the play (a local preacher), his wife, and a couple of his kids. One character was completely miscast...a seventh-grade girl, who played a 25-year-old man.

Attendance at the play has been dismal, with under fifteen people showing up for each of this weekend's three performances. Today, there were a dozen of us. They plan to have three more performances next weekend. I don't expect them to be any better attended, unfortunately. I'm afraid they'll be lucky if a total of hundred people attend all six performances.

Back home, Mother was ready to get up and have supper. She chose Ramen noodle soup. Hubbie and I opted for cereal and toast.

For TV tonight, we watched a Hallmark Channel movie, "A Christmas Wedding Tail." Not an award winner, but it was another family-fare feature suited to Mother.

0 comments: