Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday, Feb. 6

Up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. Chilly morning, but the pool was nice and warm. I must have jinxed the lady who usually stands beside me, though, because she is out due to breaking something in her kitchen and cutting her arm.

Back home, once I was ready for the day, I went to the dentist's office for a routine cleaning. Hubbie opted to go with me and read his novel while he waited in the van for me, so we could go to an Italian restaurant for lunch.

Unfortunately, we forgot that the restaurant is closed on Mondays. So we settled for chili from a fast food restaurant.

At home again, I reviewed materials for a tutoring session with my Spanish student. In so doing, I discovered I needed another supplemental book to go with the ones I have for Level 3. I called the Literacy Council office to make sure someone would be there to give me the book, and then went by and picked it up.

Turned out I didn't need the book today, since it took most of the time allotted to finish administering an evaluation test to the student. She is still having trouble transforming statements into questions, using "which." During the remaining time, I drilled her on the transformation exercise. Before we begin Level 3, I will make sure she understands that lesson.

Since that is the only weakness she has, and we are going to address it, I presented her with a certificate of completion provided by the director of the Literacy Council. My student is the first to reach Level 3, so the director is very pleased.

The student was very excited to receive the certificate, and said her English-speaking husband will be very proud of her. I'm proud of her, too.

We spent fifteen minutes after class in conversation, so she could practice using English. She talked about her mother and father-in-law, both of whom she loves dearly. She also described several meals she prepared over the weekend. Her English is still halting, as she struggles for words, but she is improving all the time, and she loves to practice.

Back home, Hubbie had heated the leftovers from yesterday's meal, and we had supper at our usual 5 p.m. hour. Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother back to her house.



Then I turned off the TV, and we pursued our own activities. Hubbie read his novel until he nodded off; I copied reinforcing materials from the Level 2 ESL book to use with the student next week, submitted a monthly Literacy Council report, and then completed this week's word search puzzle contest.

Turned the TV back on, and we watched an episode of "Downton Abbey." A maid has been "ruined" by a returning soldier, who refuses to marry her after she has had a child. A soldier with a horribly disfigured face, who was supposed to have drowned on the Titanic, now claims to be heir to Downton Abbey. The wife of a manservant refuses to give him a divorce so he can marry one of the maids. Later, the wife is found dead. World War I ends.

It was a long day, as Mondays usually are, and when it was time for bed, I was ready to hit the sack.

0 comments: