Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wednesday, Feb. 8

Up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. It was a chilly morning, but not bad in fleece wear, a fleece hoodie, a jacket, hat, and gloves. The pool was pleasant, and I enjoyed swimming and aerobics. The morning turned breezy, though, so the walk back to the van was a bit chillier.

Back home, I downed a couple of mugs of hot coffee, and then luxuriated in a steamy shower. After that, I had thawed enough to get on with my day.

Around 10 a.m., Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, where she and I sorted a three-ring binder of recipes we'd collected over the past several years. Our diets have changed, so many of the recipes are now of no use to us, because of salt, yellow dyes, etc. They are low-fat, though, so I'll let family go through them to see if there's anything they can use.

We didn't do much after that. Hubbie, who had cleaned and organized the silverware drawer while I was at aerobics, cleaned a catch-all drawer and then read his novel. Mother worked word games on my e-reader, and I played on my laptop.

A little after 4 p.m., I put leftover baked beans and potatoes in the oven, and later, Hubbie went to the WDCS to pick up a rotisserie chicken. I boiled corn-on-the-cob to add to this lazy-day meal.

Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother back to her house. At 7 p.m., Hubbie and I went to the college for a guest lecture...the speaker is the editor of an unusual magazine that features bits and pieces of everyday life in the form of lists, love notes, letters, etc.

Examples can be seen at www.foundmagazine.com. For instance, this note: "This is not a parking space. It is McDonald's drive-thru." Left under a windshield wiper.

Or, "Lost catupiller, 1 inch, If found Please return to first house 57012, Name Runnie Catupiller."

Or on a piece of an evaluation form: "6. Do you think God could be calling you to be a priest." Answer: "could be."

Or, "Dennis - there is a section in this book that is explanatory on why I am so upset and why I feel so deeply hurt. Please figure it out and tell me (those two words underlined). Hint: Chapter 8, page 181-211. Love, C."

Or, "Dear Pennsyvania Boy, I'm going to miss your bed. But I think I'll probably miss you a little more. (heart) Maine Girl."

A note that I found in a book bought at a book sale: "Eddie's medicine, 2 cans tom paste, tom sauce, 2 pkg spag. seasoning, ham meat/ immobilized to move - slow motion not sleeping-knee." Obviously a list to pick up a prescription, and groceries to make his favorite meal, plus an explanation of his malady.

We enjoyed the speaker, who read a stack of his favorite magazine entries, some of them absolutely hilarious as delivered by this stand-up comic.

Back home, we watched our favorite college basketball team get slaughtered by the opposition in a road game.

0 comments: