Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday, May 8

Up around 7:30, and after breakfast I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. Hubbie and I planned to go to the hospital for a noon lunch and lecture, so we both dressed for the event. But when I checked the calendar, I discovered that the event is next Tuesday instead of today. Phooey. Oh well.

We both got into our work clothes and went about our business around the house. Among other things, I straightened the spare bedroom and made the bed after washing the sheets, chose birthday cards from our stash for three family members celebrating their big days this month, made haircut appointments for Mother and me nest week, and put together a gift bag of items to give to Mother for Mother's Day.

Hubbie fixed Ramen Noodle soup for Mother and took it to her for lunch. Since our lunch event fell through, I wasn't sure what Hubbie and I would have. Finally decided to dig out sauteed mushrooms and onions from the freezer, add a can of spinach (drained), egg substitute, and cheese to them, and serve it all with toast and jelly.

Afterward, I accompanied Mother to our house, where we worked on making a Chinese soup for supper. Mother chopped onions, carrots, and celery, which I added to chicken and broth, with seasonings. I let the chicken simmer, while Mother and I washed two quarts of blueberries. We used a cup of them to make a batch of blueberry muffins, and bagged the rest for the freezer. Mother mixed the muffin recipe after I'd gathered and helped measure the ingredients. While the muffins baked, I added some of the fresh blueberries to leftover canned peaches and added halved grapes to the mix for a supper dessert.

After that, Mother created a birthday card for a family member, while I did this and that around the house. Later, I finished supper preparations...adding cabbage that Mother had shredded to the soup, along with soy sauce and fresh ginger. After the cabbage cooked, I added noodles from Ramen Noodle packages, and sliced green onions from the garden. The soup and mounthwatering muffins, along with the fruit and fat-free topping, was really good on this cooler day.

Note: hummingbirds are finally visiting the feeder. The feeder has been up for a while, but I guess the birds preferred the nectar of some of the flowers in the yard. Also saw two brilliant yellow American Goldfinch enjoying the thistle feeder this morning.

Squirrels are also busily raiding the birdfeeders. Nothing deters them...providing them a squirrel feeder with corn only serves to invite them to the yard, so we can't complain, I guess. The three cats certainly enjoy watching them, and the birds, from the windows of the sunroom.

Spent the evening watching TV, including the elimination episode of "Dancing With the Stars." The two I thought would be eliminated, were.











0 comments: