Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday, May 7

Woke up to a thunderstorm, so I wasn't sure if I would be going to water aerobics or not. But I got up and ready anyway, just in case. By time to leave around 7:30, it was still dark, dismal, and rainy, but there was no thunder, so I packed an umbrella and headed to the gym.

Only eleven of us showed up this morning. Our leader was anxious that at least ten would come to make it worth the coach/lifesaver's time to be there. She breathed a sigh of relief when member number ten arrived.

It had stopped raining by the time I walked back to the van after aerobics. But it was cool enough that I was glad I'd worn my fleece outfit.

Back home, once I was ready for the day, I reviewed today's lesson plan for my student, and then read the Sunday newspaper. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, where she worked on her jigsaw puzzle.

Went to the college library shortly before 2:30, but I began to worry when the student didn't show up on time. Soon, Hubbie called to let me know the student had called our house to say she was running late because she was having a dress fitted for the Civil War Confederate Ball.

Today, she learned to use idioms with "take," and "make." "I take a bus to work every morning." "I made an appointment with the doctor for a checkup."

She also learned the structure focus of "more...than" with nouns. "She has three books." I have two books. She has more books than I do." "David has three pencils. Ed has one pencil. David has more pencils than Ed does." This exercise was designed for the student to use not only "more...than," but also to test her on using "do and does." She did well with the sentences that required those two, but was thrown by the past tense sentences: "Ann made three mistakes yesterday. Gail made two mistakes yesterday," which required her to combine them into "Ann made more mistakes yesterday than Gail did."

We finished the lesson with structure focus on question words plus infinitives: "Please tell me where to put these books (question: where; infinitive: to put). "I don't know what to do." "Ann will teach you how to swim." "He's learning how to play hockey."

At home, Hubbie had heated the leftover stirfry from last night, and we had supper a little early, so I could attend an arts council meeting at 5:30. I accompanied Mother home after supper, and Hubbie joined me in going to the meeting.

Tonight, we wrestled with Summer Celebration plans again, but didn't get very far. Our main problem is in not being able to nail down a venue. We thought we had a church fellowship hall engaged, but the church has, since last week, informed us that there was something scheduled that had somehow not been recorded on their calendar.

It's possible we could move the date of the event, if the church would be available then, but just in case, I suggested we look into possibly engaging the National Guard Armory. This seemed to strike a positive chord with everyone present, so when we got home, Hubbie called the Master Gardener who arranged to have the plant sale in the building and got the name of the contact person. We'll pass the info on to the arts council director tomorrow.

I felt sorry for both the president of the arts council board and the arts council director, both of whom appeared strained and burdened. I felt guilty when I had to decline heading up the food committee. I don't want to take on anything that requires my undivided attention, because I want to always be available if Mother should need me.

As soon as we got home, I went to Mother's house to help her take a shower, and then throw a load of laundry in the washer. Later, Hubbie and I watched TV, including this week's episode of "Dancing With the Stars."

Whew! Busy day.









0 comments: