Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Monday, July 30

Up at 7:30, but skipped my exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house mid-morning, where she prepared veggies to be included with chicken in the slow cooker. Hubbie peeled potatoes for the meal. Besides potatoes, I added carrots, celery, onions, and the only zucchini squash that the garden produced, to chicken seasoned with pepper, no-salt seasoning, paprika, rosemary, and parsley, along with low-sodium chicken broth.

I chose this meal so that it could cook while I met with my ESL student at the college. Spent the rest of the morning doing this and that, including reviewing this week's lesson, and catching up on reading the Sunday and daily local newspapers.

In the meantime, Hubbie ran errands, including picking up a large box of free-stone peaches that we'd ordered before leaving on our trip. The peaches are from another state and are not quite ripe yet, so we'll let them rest a few days, and then prepare most of them for the freezer.

After lunch, Mother retired to the couch for a nap, and later I met my student. Today's lesson included "because" clauses: "Why is Lee Chan sad? Because he is leaving his family." "Why is Fran crying? Because her brother died yesterday."

The lesson also included "as + adjectives + as": "This pencil is as long as that one." "Fran runs as fast as Kim does."

The student also worked with the use of "almost": "It's 8:45. It's almost 9 o'clock." And irregular noun plurals: "I have a knife. I have two knives." "I have a loaf of bread. I have two loaves of bread."

We finished the lesson with my reading a paragraph that the student repeated back to me. She also worked on a lesson on reading and writing from her workbook.

In conversation, the student commented that she has another toothache. This time she needs a root canal, she said. I hope she sees a dentist soon.

Back home, the slow cooker meal was ready, and we enjoyed it at 5 p.m. Accompanied Mother home afterward, and then Hubbie and I vegged in front of TV.







0 comments: