Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday, April 19

Had a little trouble getting to sleep last night, so I wasn't quite ready to get up this morning at 7 a.m. But I hopped out anyway, since Hubbie was up. He was scheduled to go to the armory at 8 a.m. to help the Master Gardeners set up for their plant sale.

I dragged my feet in getting ready for the day after breakfast, mainly because I was glued to the TV watching reports of the newest developments in the hunt for the Boston Marathon bombers, one of which was killed in a shootout, and the other of which was on the run.

Finally, around 9 a.m., I dressed and went to Mother's house to accompany her to our house. The two of us continued watching coverage of the news from Boston. When nothing new seemed to be happening, I decided to do stair stepping exercises, but not weights today. Since I'd exercised with water noodles on Wednesday, and with resistance bands and weights yesterday, I felt I needed to rest my muscles (other than my heart) for a day.

Hubbie returned right at noon for lunch, and we all had something different...Ramen Noodle soup for Mother, leftover stirfry and rice for me, and PB&J sandwich for Hubbie. Before Hubbie left to go back to the armory, he mentioned that if Mother and I wanted to, we could go down there and select plants that Mother might like to buy.

Naturally, this was one of those rare days when I was in grubby clothes and without makeup, so I had to scurry upstairs and make myself presentable, so I could take Mother to the sale. At the armory, Hubbie was on the spot to help get the wheelchair out of the van.

Mother thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the plants, reading information about them, and selecting what she wanted. We spent about an hour there, and I snapped pics of her to download to my social network page. The family always love seeing snapshots of Mother online.

Among the plants Mother bought were petunias and marigolds. There didn't seem to be a very big variety of herbs, so she passed on those. Though we weren't interested in buying any of them, we were amused by the names of some heritage daylilies that will go for premium prices tomorrow...among them are "Mexicalli Miss," "Washington's Farewell," "Brocaded Gown," "Dawn's Light," "Moonlit Masquerade," and "Hemerocallis Woohoo."

Back home, Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle, and I spent time messaging with my Daughter. Hubbie returned home with us, and relaxed after working hard at the armory. Later, Mother and I prepared a quiche for the oven. She grated Monterey Jack cheese, and cut up provolone cheese, and after I gathered the rest of the ingredients...sauteed green onions and bell peppers, spinach, and egg/milk/spice mixture, she layered it into the quiche dish.

The dish was ready at 5 p.m., and I served it with cottage cheese, toast and jelly, and fresh oranges. Hubbie accompanied Mother home afterward, and then he and I continued watching coverage of the hunt for the bomber, which finally ended with his capture later in the evening.






0 comments: