Saturday, April 20, 2013

Saturday, April 20

Up at 6:30, so Hubbie could get ready to go to the armory to help the Master Gardeners with the plant sale, and so Mother and I could go to the Literacy Council yard sale. Obviously, I skipped my exercises today.

Hubbie left just after 7 a.m. to help get things ready before the sale began at 8 a.m. I showered, dressed, and went to Mother's to help her get to the van.

The yard sale was already well attended when we arrived. The first thing Mother spotted was a large rectangular basket that she thought would work to organize stuff at her house. It was only a dollar. I saw a small live plant, also a dollar, that I thought Hubbie might like. We don't know what it is, but the leaves remind us a little bit of a poinsettia, except they are all green, with a hint of red on a few of them.

With these two purchases, we were told that we could select a couple of books from the boxes and laden table. While I was looking at them, a lady walked over and handed me a plastic grocery bag, telling me to pick up as many as I wanted for free, because the purpose of the Literacy Council is to get books into the hands of people. She didn't have to tell me twice...I loaded up on children's books, and picked up a few for me, too.

While I was browsing the books, though, I noticed Mother, who had been browsing the other tables, was looking pooped. So I assisted her to a platform rocker to rest for a few minutes, while I fetched the car and drove as close as I could to where she was seated.

Got her into the car, and we were back home around 9 a.m. She was pretty wobbly by the time we got in the house. She just doesn't have any strength in her legs anymore, and really had no business going to the sale. But she insisted, so I took her. She's not happy about it, but I think she now realizes that unless we go somewhere that allows her to be in her wheelchair, then she needs to stay home. The yard sale was in a grassy yard, and her wheelchair doesn't operate well on that kind of surface.

Around 9:30, I changed into clothes appropriate for going to a wedding. I wasn't sure how limited the parking would be near the church, so I left home around 10:15 for the 11 a.m. event. Glad I did, because it appeared everyone else had the same idea.

Inside the church, the pews were already pretty full. But I found a seat near the back. Soon, the church was packed rafter to rectory. Some folks were consigned to folding chairs in the back, and many others stood. I had no idea there would be so many people. After attending the bride's wedding shower, at which there were only nine of us, I was afraid few would attend the wedding. That's why I went, to be sure there would be some in attendance. Obviously, I needn't have worried!

This is an Episcopal church, so the wedding was very long. I thought it might be over around noon, but when 12:15 rolled around, and the celebration was only at the communion, I knew I would have to leave, because it was going to take at least thirty minutes to slowly bless each congregant at the altar. And then there were several hymns and prayers to follow.

Mother was home alone, and she needed her lunch. Besides, my own tummy was rumbling, and my bladder was calling. Hubbie would be having lunch with the Master Gardeners at the plant sale, so he wouldn't be home. I felt awkward leaving the service, but I couldn't make Mother wait until 1 p.m., or later for her lunch. I'm glad I wasn't seated all the way up front and in an aisle seat.

The wedding was nice, though, if low-key. The bride is a very shy and modest young woman, who expressly said she wanted a simple wedding. Her gown reflected her modesty...high-necked, floor-length A-line, with a short train. It was antique ivory colored, with a long-sleeve bolero style jacket. It had no sequins, lace, or other adornments. She wore a simple, old-fashioned brooch at her neck (maybe an heirloom from a relative), and her shoulder-length hair was swept to the back of her head and caught into a decorative barrette. No veil. No makeup, either, or very little as far as I could tell. She looked as shy and innocent as she seems to be, though I figure she is in her mid to late 20s. The church was undecorated, too, with just a small vase of white flowers on the altar.

I don't know her well enough to know her family situation, but I assume there were no male members to walk her down the aisle, because she walked on the arm of her husband-to-be, who was attired in a black suit with a priest's collar. The bride is slightly taller than he is, or maybe she wore heels. The term blushing bride aptly sutied her, because each time I saw her up close, she was flushed pink.

At home, Mother was very glad to get her lunch. I had spinach quiche, leftover from last night's supper, along with cottage cheese, and toast with strawberry jelly. I called Hubbie to be sure he wasn't coming home for lunch, and he said he was having barbecue at the armory.

Spent the rest of the afternoon doing this and that. Hubbie returned home around 2 p.m. Mother worked on her jigsaw puzzle. Later, I went out to the yard to snap pictures of the dogwood tree, the lilac tree, azalea bushes, and irises, then downloaded them to my social network page.

Around 4:30, Mother and I put together bagel pizzas. The pizzas were ready just after 5 p.m., and I served them with cottage cheese and chips. Hubbie accompanied Mother home afterward, and then he and I did the usual...watched TV, including an episode of "Call the Midwife," from PBS. This is a really good series.




0 comments: