Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday, June 5

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to water aerobics. I was on the road around 7 a.m., thirty minutes earlier than usual. It was cool enough again for my fleece wear. I arrived before anyone else, so I could have waited a few minutes more before leaving the house.

The water was warmer today than it was on Monday, but it still a bit nippy. Hopefully, it'll be good and warm by Friday. Eighteen of us showed up today, though, and we had a good workout.

Driving back home, I was careful to keep to the speed limit, since there was a police car parked near a hill on my way to the pool. Fortunately, I was traveling the speed limit then, too. But one of the members obviously was not, because she got pulled over and ticketed on her way to the pool this morning.

Back home, I relaxed, as usual, with a couple of cups of coffee. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and she worked on her jigsaw puzzle, while I got ready for the day.

I spent part of the rest of the morning getting Hubbie registered with another e-mail provider, and then setting up his social network page, and contacting his friends list. Then I gave him a tutorial on how to access and use the site. I hope I've got it all worked out this time.

Just before I finished eating my sandwich lunch, my niece called to tell me that her dad, my  81-year-old brother, is declining in a nursing home. He is unable to recover from a recent stroke, and in fact, he has had a few mini episodes since then. He is almost blind, and he doesn't recognize people. Niece is very distraught, of course, but she knows it's just a matter of time, so she's trying to put his affairs in order. I'm sad that I cannot be there with her. All I can do is lend her a shoulder (ear) to cry on.

Spent the afternoon catching up on reading newspaper, though it was hard to concentrate, since I had my brother and niece on my mind.

Later, I fixed a supper of braised pork chops, baked potatoes, and green beans. Mother sliced and buttered French bread to be heated for the meal.

Afterward, I went downtown to the art gallery for a meeting. The purpose of the meeting tonight was to review art work submissions to the gallery. There was a variety of very good art from several artists, and we put our stamp of approval on all of them. Each artist will mount a show between now and spring.

The meeting, which began at 5:30, ended quickly at 6:15, and I was back home by 6:30. When I got back, I alerted Hubbie to the fact that I almost got smashed trying to exit our driveway to go to the meeting, because I simply cannot see what's coming around that curve on the right, because there is a downed tree in the lot next to our property.

Just as I had driven onto the first lane, a car sailed around that curve. I slammed on my brakes, and in a rush to put the car in reverse, I hit the radio dial and music blared. I managed to keep my presence of mind, though, and back into the driveway. But my heart was in my throat.

This has happened too many times, not only to me, but to Hubbie. So he immediately went over to the tree service business in our neighborhood to ask the owner if he'd come look at that tree and see if he can remove it. The guy came and saw what the problem is, and has agreed to help us...for a price, I'm sure, though we don't know what the cost will be yet. Whatever it is, I think we should present the bill to the owner of the property to see if she will agree to pay all or part of it.

Spent the rest of the evening watching TV, including a murder mystery recorded on DVR from the Lifetime Movie Channel.








0 comments: