Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thursday, May 15

I awakened at 6:30, so I got up and came downstairs. Skipped my exercises after breakfast, though, and just went ahead and showered and dressed, so I could spruce the house for our scrapbook club meeting this afternoon.

Before I came back downstairs, though, I searched my closet for something appropriate to wear to a President's Council Meeting at the college. My goal was to find something warm enough for this unseasonably cool weather that didn't look wintry.

I finally settled on an outfit, and then got the house in order. After that, I put supplies out on the dining room table so the ladies could walk around it and pick out what they wanted for making greeting cards.

There was time before lunch for Mother and I to begin working on cards. Mainly, I assisted Mother while she made a card. I was interested in making photo cards from the snapshots I took at a recent garden tour, so Hubbie went to the WDCS to pick up a package of photos I'd ordered online.

By now, it was time for lunch, so I fixed Mother's usual Ramen noodle soup, and Hubbie and I had deli turkey sandwiches and chips.

The other two ladies arrived around 1 p.m., and we got right down to work. One of the ladies had worked on her own at home creating backgrounds with elements and messages that she only had to apply to cards when she got here. She also made several cards while she was here.

The other lady only brought her scissors and a package of card stock, then used the blank cards and elements I supplied to create cards.

The other ladies were mainly interested in creating birthday or thinking-of-you cards, so I used my photos to make sympathy cards, because a request from Caring Hands was for more of those. They are the least pleasant ones to make, so I focus on those and let the other ladies make the happy ones.

Around 2 p.m., I served refreshments of a choice of homemade brownies or store-bought chocolate and vanilla cookies, and freshly made coffee. Not surprisingly, the choice was mainly for brownies.

We got back down to work after our snack, and I was surprised when the ladies stayed until 4 p.m., an hour past our usual quitting time. We were all just enjoying ourselves so much that time flew.

After the ladies left, and I had cleared away the supplies, I accompanied Mother to her house. I sent leftovers home with her last night, so she had plenty to heat in the microwave for her supper tonight.

Hubbie and I changed clothes to go to the President's Council Meeting at 6 p.m. We arrived early, along with a handful of other folks. This was an invitation only gathering, and I wasn't sure why we had been invited. Apparently, only a select group was included, because the meeting was held in a small room called in the student center called the President's Dining Room.

The room was appointed with about six ornate round tables and high-back chairs. The tables were each large enough to seat six people. Other chairs lined the walls on two sides of the room.

Each table featured a square of yellow linen on which two square glass vases holding either blue or green glass vase gems, into which were inserted live flowers. The vases were filled with water on which floated large, flat, white candles. I can't wait for an opportunity to simulate this idea.

Hor'dourves were served before the meeting. A bowl of jumbo shrimp on ice, and sauce, were featured on a pedestal table, and at another table, there was an artful display of wedges of white or yellow cheeses and crackers, and grapes. A server offered a choice of red or white wine.

Shortly after we were seated, waitresses dressed in black slacks and white blouses came around with niblets on trays...hot stuffed mushrooms, phyllo pastries, and Canadian bacon wrapped fruit.

About 30 people attended the meeting, which centered on laying out plans for initiating new sports at the college...football, tennis, and both men's and women's wrestling. I guess we were invited to his gathering because Hubbie's nephew is the new basketball coach.

Also, the president, in his speech, noted that in the past folks who were invited to this event were those who were donors. This time, he wanted the new demographic of those who support sports. And that's us, I guess.

Whatever the reason we had been invited, we enjoyed the evening among folks we know, including Hubbie's nephew. Niece was not with him, because the baby was fussy, and she felt she needed to stay home with her.

Before we left, the head coach urged us to choose a tee shirt with the college's new logo on it. I was glad to get one, since I'd been wanting one.

Embarrassing: while Hubbie was chatting with the English professor, the professor upended his plate of food onto the carpeted floor. I felt bad for him, but was glad it wasn't me or Hubbie who did it. Lesson learned...never try to balance your plate on top of your wine glass so that you can gesture with your right hand while talking.

We were back home around 8 p.m., ready for something substantial to eat...no matter how yummy the hor'dourves are at a gathering, it's not polite to pig out. I heated leftover macaroni and cheese, beef with peppers and onions, and half a baked potato for our supper.

Afterward, I went to Mother's house to put drops in her eyes. She was snoozing in her chair when I got there, but woke up when I spoke to her, unlike the other night, when I had to shake her several times to wake her.

Hubbie and I finished the evening watching a one-hour show on TV, and then headed to bed. It was a busy day, but productive and pleasant.



 

0 comments: