Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Life's Unexpected Turn, Part Five

If Tuesday night seemed long, Wednesday seemed even longer. The catheter test was performed around 9 a.m., after which I lay still for six hours. It's quite an adventure trying to eat lunch lying prone. Fluids are especially challenging, even with a straw.

It was around 4:00 p.m. before paramedics arrived with an ambulance to transport me to our capital city's heart hospital. My husband had returned home to gather what he thought I'd need for the next couple of days, and arrived back at the hospital just in time to follow the ambulance on our hour and a half trip. This was my very first ride in an ambulance.

Of course, by the time I arrived at the hospital, and was strung back up to drips and monitors, and had blood drawn, etc., it was past the kitchen's usual delivery time, but Hubbie was able to go to the cafeteria and pick up meals before the kitchen closed at 6 p.m.

Sometime after we'd eaten, there was a shift change, and a male nurse attended me. His first duty was to inform me that the doctor who was to perform my procedure would not be able to do it Thursday morning as anticipated, because he was already completely scheduled for the day.

Later, the doctor visited me to ask the same questions I felt I'd been asked 100 times since my arrival at the ER in my hometown. He reiterated that he would not be able to perform the procedure Thursday morning.

I was very disappointed. This would mean a very long Wednesday night, followed by a very, very long Thursday and Thursday night, before the procedure could be performed around 9 a.m. Friday morning.

I'm a very active person, so idling is not a happy time for me.

0 comments: