Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Life's Unexpected Turn, Part Nine

We left the heart hospital shortly after lunch on Saturday and arrived in our town midafternoon. I've never been so glad to see home. It's one thing to be glad to come back from a vacation, but it is quite another to arrive after a bout in a hospital.

My hat's off, though, to the excellent, skilled, and caring medical staff at the heart hospital. I wasn't crazy about submitting to the necessary procedures, but I was treated with respect, and I felt safe and secure in the knowledge that competent physicians, nurses, and aides, were carefully monitoring me.

Kitchen staff treat patients as guests of the hospital. Private rooms include room service menus that feature a decent choice of meal items. Of course, these foods are basically salt free, and no salt packets are served on the tray, but there are packets of seasoning blend and pepper. Trays arrive at the room with a knock on the door and a staff member announcing, "Room service."

I was particulary fond of the Egg Beater omelets. I think they might be the best thing on the menu. And, according to one of the nurses, they are only offered to patients.

Two of my meals came with live orchid blossoms as garnishments. They were beautiful, and I saved them atop wet paper towels placed in a styrofoam cup. I even brought them home with me, where they remained lovely for several days.

Room service was not the only way to obtain food. Throughout the day and evening, nurses and aides frequently asked if they could bring me juices, diet drinks, tea or coffee, and snack foods, like turkey sandwiches, graham crackers and peanut butter, healthy trail mix, etc. I took advantage of juice breaks in the afternoon, and snack times in the evening.

Even with all this special attention, I was still so very glad to be home again.

0 comments: