Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Life's Unexpected Turn, Part Three

The emergency room heart doctor spent quite a bit of time interviewing me about my lifestyle, and seemed pleased with my diet and exercise routines, among other things. He said making healthy choices will probably serve me well in recuperation and rehabilitation. I hope so.

Of course, I'd hoped that making those choices was going to spare me from heart disease in the first place, but that was not to be. Who knows...maybe my heart episode would have been even more serious if I'd been in poor physical shape.

I can't know why I have heart disease. I lost a half brother to a heart attack recently, and another half brother also has heart disease, so maybe my problem is genetic. Neither my mother, nor my late father, have (or were) plagued by heart disease, and I was hoping that I'd drawn from their gene pool. But apparently I did not.

An overnight stay in a hospital gives a person plenty of time to think. I concluded that I have no choice but to accept my health problem, deal with it intelligently and prayerfully, and get on with living.

0 comments: