Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Life's Unexpected Turn, Postscript

Life's unexpected turn means I must now turn in a new healthy-living direction. I was on the right track with diet and exercise, but I wasn't watching my sodium intake carefully enough. I was actually unaware of how high the sodium content is in many, many foods, particulary prepared foods. Our shelves at home are stacked with canned and boxed food items that are not safe for me to eat. We're now on a search for low sodium, and sodium-free products.

I'm also on the lookout for low-sodium, or sodium-free, but tasty, recipe ideas. Long ago, we stopped salting when cooking, and we began using lite salt at the table, but these measures were far from enough, since canned and boxed foods that we used in recipes still added unacceptable levels of sodium.

Dining out will present special obstacles. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if I dare eat anything beyond a salad at any of our local establishments. I'll have to ask around to see if any of the restaurants in our town can accommodate a special request for no-salt added when I order.

My challenge in the weeks to come will be to research, research, research. And learn to love a more bland diet in the meantime.

0 comments: