Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Life's Unexpected Turn, Part Seven

Friday morning, my son and daughter-in-law came to be with Hubbie while I was having the angioplasty procedure done. They walked beside the gurney on the way to the procedure room. Their eyes were on me, but mine were on the ceiling. I noticed that the flourescent light covers featured blue sky with fluffy white clouds. I pointed them out to everyone, and the young man wheeling the gurney said he didn't know quite how to take the designs. I took them as a reminder of happy, sunshiny days. Maybe he saw them as a reminder that we will all very soon rush heavenward.

With kisses and hugs, we parted (family, that is...not the gurney guy), as I was wheeled into the arctic-cold room. I couldn't stop shivering...maybe partly from the cold, maybe partly from fear of the unknown.

Several people scurried about attending me and preparing me for the procedure. When one of the young women noticed me shivering, she brought a heated blanket and layed it over my chest and arms. I was immediately soothed.

Peppy music played in the background, and I noticed the two very young nurses practicing dance moves as they awaited instructions. The site of the procedure was thoroughly scrubbed with an antiseptic solution, and I was given a dose of some sort of relaxant through my IV. Within moments, I was in a twilight zone.

The doctor arrived and quickly went about his task. I remember babbling questions that were ignored, until the doctor ordered more relaxant for me. He was trying to shut me up, maybe?

The procedure lasted 20 or 30 minutes, after which I was taken back to my room.

0 comments: