Thursday, April 23, 2009

After the Trip

I've used a lot of blog space this week doing narratives and uploading photos of our Texas trip. So what have we been doing since? Let's see...

Last Saturday, we spent most of our day catching up with household chores, reading a stack of newspapers, answering e-mails, responding to phone calls, shopping for grocery essentials, etc. One e-mail we received was from Niece, who said that the play that Great-Niece and Great-Nephew were cast in was scheduled for last Thurs. through Sunday afternoon.

The play, "The Music Man," is one of my favorites. So we decided to head a couple of hours south on Sunday afternoon to see the 2 p.m. performance. It was a high school production that cast not only high school students, but lots of community members. So, although Great-Niece is not yet in high school, she was cast as one of the River City Teens and Kids. Great-Nephew was cast as one of the River City Adults.

Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day for traveling. We left home about 11 a.m., and stopped in a town about an hour away to have lunch at a buffet restaurant. At another town a few miles from our destination, we noticed a roadside stand selling the first of this year's local strawberries. So we stopped to buy a flat of the very large, plump and luscious berries.

We arrived at the auditorium where the play was to be performed just minutes before the curtain went up. Niece, her husband, and their other son, arrived right after we did, and sat in a row right behind us.

The play was absolutely wonderful, and as far as I could tell, flawless....very professionally performed...and we thoroughly enjoyed it. That high school has a lot of very talented kids!

After the performance, I presented Great-Niece with a drama mask pin. I had two of them, and I thought she would enjoy having one of them. I'm so glad that she loves live theater as much as I do.

I was disappointed that when we arrived, there were no programs left, but after the play, Hubbie went around the auditorium and found a couple that people had left under their seats, so I got one, and Niece got one.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

I was able to attend the play Saturday morning and was amazed at the outstanding job they did!

Sixty Something said...

I'm very glad we went. Like I said it is one of my favorite musicals, and they were so good that I smiled all the way through it.