Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday, April 25

We were up at 6 a.m. this morning so Mother and I could go to a 7 a.m. yard sale on the parking lot of one of the food processing plants, and Hubbie could get ready to be at the Master Gardeners plant sale at 8 a.m.

We were disappointed in the yard sale, which was advertised as being a big one. Only a few folks were manning tables, and we didn't find a lot to interest us. I bought four paperback novels for Hubbie....three westerns, and a John Grisham. For myself, I got a historical novel and a DVD of the musical, "Sweeney Todd," starring Angela Landsbury (one of my favorite actors) and a jigsaw puzzle.

After that, we went to the fairgrounds for the plant sale. It didn't open until 8 a.m., but since Hubbie is a member of the organization, Mother and I got in early. Mother chose several plants that she wanted, particularly coleus, which was good, because as soon as the doors opened, a flood of people poured in and within minutes the coleus was gone.

I took my camera along with me, and got several snapshots to e-mail to the photo editor of the regional section of our state newspaper.

By 9 a.m., we were ready to leave the sale and go to the greeting card shop. Upon arriving, we learned the store didn't open until 10 a.m., so we toured the town, looking for more yard sales. We only located a couple, though, and neither one had anything we wanted.

At 10, we went back to the greeting card shop to buy Mother's Day cards. I had a $3 coupon with an April 30 expiration, plus a coupon for a free card with a purchase of three, and I was glad to be able to use both.

We came home after that and relaxed for a little while before returning to the plant sale around noon, when everything was half price. Mother found a few more plants that she wanted. The sale ended at 1 p.m. and Hubbie stayed around for the clean-up chores, but Mother and I came home for lunch. I had a grilled cheese sandwich, with fresh strawberries for dessert, and Mother had the Ramen noodle soup leftover from yesterday, and an individual container of fruited Jell-o. Hubbie just settled for the sweets provided at the plant sale as his lunch, which couldn't have been very satisfying.

After lunch, Mother and I watched the "Sweeney Todd" musical on DVD. I only paid $2 for it, so I hoped it wasn't defective. It isn't.

When Hubbie got home, he immediately went into the yard to put his and Mother's new plants into the ground, and to do some mowing. Rain is predicted for the next few days, so he wanted to get a head start on mowing the lawn, which is growing by leaps and bounds after the last rain.

For Supper, we tried a new hamburger/macaroni recipe that we got at the last Weight Watchers meeting. It's very tasty. Spent the rest of the evening, as usual, watching TV.

0 comments: