Monday, April 20, 2009

Texas Trip, Day Seven

Tuesday, April 14:

We were up about 7:30 a.m. Had a breakfast of cold cereal with banana, and slices of wheat bread. After getting ready for the day, we went downtown to what's called the "Marktplatz" (Market Square), where there is a lovely garden. I took lots of snapshots here (photos of our trip will follow later).

From there, we stopped at a shop selling shelled Texas pecans, and I bought a pound. Then we went to an herb farm. Of course, I snapped pictures, while Hubbie and Mother browsed the plants.

While we were there, I contacted my high school friend, and learned that she was ill and couldn't visit with me. Instead, she suggested we have lunch at a restaurant with her husband and sister-in-law. The husband and sister-in-law were in Fredricksburg (about 45 minutes from Friend's home) to help with a gardening project at the Lady Byrd Johnson Park, where they volunteer each week.

I was disappointed that I could not see my friend, but we had a good visit with the husband and sister-in-law, at a restaurant that has been converted from an old cotton gin...lots of ambiance. We'd met Friend's husband once before, but the sister-in-law was a stranger to us. Both are nice people, and it was an enjoyable hour, but just seemed odd to be visiting with these folks instead of my friend.

Lunch (their treat) was soup, salad, and bread sticks. The soup of the day was French onion, not my favorite, but the bread sticks were really good. After lunch, the waiter brought rice paper envelopes of hot-from-the-oven cookies...several varieties. I ate one, though it certainly wasn't heart healthy.

After lunch, we went to Wildseed Farms, where there are 200 acres of wildflowers in various stages of development. Today, there were fields of Texas bluebonnets, and red corn poppies, among other varieties. The farm also features a butterfly house, and a couple of large shops filled with merchandise, including Texas bluebonnet seeds. Mother bought a package of those. They are not rated for our state's weather, but she is going to try them anyway.

After that, we took Mother back to the camper, and Hubbie and I went to Fredricksburg Winery, downtown, for free tastings. The sweet wines we tasted were okay, but we were not inspired to pay the label prices...ranging from about $17 to $20 per bottle and up. Instead, I bought a small jar of cactus jelly that I had sampled.

From there, we went to a scrapbook store, where I bought a sheet of paper featuring bluebonnets, and claimed a free gift for mentioning that I'd seen their ad in campground literature. I was given a neat dispenser of glue dots.

Back at camp, we had a supper of spaghetti, salad, and cottage cheese. Afterward, it was the same old, same old activities.

Since the temperature changed so much today, I had to change clothes three times...warm clothes for a cool morning, light long-sleeved shirt for the afternoon, and a short-sleeved blouse for the hot evening.

I took 113 snapshots today. No, no, don't worry. I only plan to post a few of them.

0 comments: