Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday, March 7




What a gorgeous, balmy, sunny day! The crocus are blooming in our yard, promising spring.
Slept late this morning, til around 8 a.m., then did a treadmill session after breakfast. After that, it was an ordinary Sunday of doing laundry, programming the DVR, and reading the Sunday newspaper.
Mother came over mid-morning and worked on the jigsaw puzzle until lunchtime, when we had leftover chicken noodle soup, with biscuits and honey. Mother felt a little better today, but was wiped out after several days of tummy troubles.
After lunch, Mother resumed working on her puzzle, while I went upstairs and played on my computer, and Hubbie climbed onto the roof to sweep off dead leaves and gumballs.
Later in the afternoon, Mother and I went outdoors to relax in lawn chairs and enjoy the warm sun. Mother went home after that, and I came back indoors and played on my computer. I was especially interested in listening to music by a group that Son plays guitar with at www.myspace.com/clover_blue (there should be an underscore symbol (_) between "clover" and "blue").
While I was at the computer, I edited my bio information for the 50th high school reunion, and sent it to a classmate. I got a prompt. My heart sank when he told me about another classmate (the first boy I dated...briefly...in high school), who is suffering from lung cancer that has spread to other parts of his body. The prognosis is not good.
This evening, Hubbie and I watched the movie, "Gospel Hill," a 2008 unrated film starring Cloe Bailey, Adam Baldwin, Angela Bassett, Casey Belville, and C.K. Bibby. A corporation wants to buy out poor residents, many of them African-Americans, to build new homes and a golf course. An African-American doctor and town leader throws in with the developers, taking advantage of the less fortunate, some of whom are his patients.
The second movie we watched was, "Love Takes Wing," from the Hallmark Channel. Among its stars are Lou Diamond Phillips, Patrick Duffy, and Cloris Leachman. A young woman doctor arrives in a frontier town and is faced with cholera. The town folks blame it on the children at an orphanage and want to shut the institution down. The doctor eventually saves the day with an improvised intravenous water/salt/sugar solution drip. A love story is intertwined in the plot. The doctor, having lost her faith in an earlier hardship, finds it anew in this town.

0 comments: