Monday, May 31, 2010

Camping Trip, Thursday, May 27

After a wakeful night (for me...Hubbie and Mother seemed to sleep well), we were up at 7:30. For breakfast, we had quick breads with cream cheese, and fresh fruits.

We didn't do anything for the morning, but before noon, Hubbie and I went to Grandson's middle school to join him for lunch. Daughter-in-Law works in the lunchroom, and she and the other staff treated us like royalty. We really enjoyed visiting there. We were appalled by the students, though, who one-by-one threw perfectly good apples into the garbage.

Society complains that school lunch programs are not healthy enough, and yet when students are offered a healthy choice like apples, they toss them. They also toss unopened cartons milk. This year, lunchroom staff had to place unwanted food on student trays, but next year, I understand that the students will be given the choice of accepting or rejecting the food, so there shouldn't be as much waste.

After lunch, we were given a tour of the school, particularly of rooms that might be suited to conducting a possible photography workshop next school year.

When it was time to head back to camp, we tried a shortcut route suggested by Daughter-in-Law, but we missed a turn somewhere along the way. We traveled past pastures of farm animals...donkeys, ponies, horses, longhorn cattle, even an alpaca, and past fields of corn and other crops, until we ran out of pavement and drove onto a gravel road. We knew we were misplaced, so we turned around and retraced the route back to a familiar road.

We stopped by to visit Son at his place of employment before going back to camp. After we saw to Shih Tzu's needs, Hubbie and I headed out again to shop at a couple of clothing stores. At one, I found the type of knit shirts that I like, with sleeves that cover my upper arms, and a button front with collar. I bought them in several colors. I called Mother to see if she wanted any, and she asked me to pick up a red one for her.

At the other store, I found only a turtleneck shirt on the clearance rack. The price was only $1.60.

By this time, another thunderstorm cropped up...black clouds, streaking lightening, wind that
tore a shopping cart out of a woman's hands, sending it careening down the parking lot. I called Mother, who said nothing was happening at camp. Fearing that the storm would soon be out there, we headed back. But no storm materialized there.

Supper tonight was spaghetti, salad, and cottage cheese. Afterward, we sat outside for a while to enjoy the cool of the evening.

Later, we played Skipbo again, with each of us winning one game.

When it was time for me to take my before-bed medications, I discovered I hadn't brought enough of one of the meds to see me through the weekend. I felt really stupid, since I'd gotten the prescription for this med filled a couple of days before we left for camp expressly so I would have enough, and then I forgot to put them into my pill carrier.

So we had forgotten not only our tote of games, but I had forgotten a med. Couldn't stop with those though, so we decided to also forget to bring antiperspirant, hairspray, and our music CDs. Oh, well.

0 comments: