Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Camping Trip, Friday, May 28

Slept well last night. After breakfast, Hubbie called the pharmacy in our town to let them know I'd forgotten to bring one of my meds to camp. The pharmacist advised us to go to the same pharmacy in the town where we were camped, and we would be provided with a couple of tablets to tide me over.

So as soon as we were ready for the day, we went to the pharmacy. I was surprised when the pharmacist provided the med free of charge.

From there, we went to the WDCS for a few groceries. Back at camp, Mother and I made potato salad and macaroni salad for Saturday.

After lunch, Hubbie and I went shopping again, to two clothing stores. I didn't find anything at the first store, but at the second store, I found two swimsuits, at half price.

Back at camp, Hubbie and I changed clothes to go to a 5 p.m. picnic at a classmate's house...one of the 50th anniversary high school reunion activities. Sixteen of our 20 remaining classmates, plus spouses, showed up. Six classmates have died...one as recently as a few weeks ago.

We all had a wonderful time. At our first reunion ten years ago, we had difficulty recognizing each other. This time, we knew each other, except for a few who didn't attend the 2,000 reunion. It's amazing how much we have changed...pounds heavier, balding, paunches, medical problems. I was flattered to hear from all of them that I was instantly recognizable. A couple of the other ladies, except for aging, still look the same, too.

The classmates who live in the area organized everything and provided the food. One gentleman, who operates a vineyard and makes wine, provided both red and white muscadine wines, as well as homemade cheese and summer sausage, for the gathering. I tasted the wine and a bit of the cheese, but passed on the sausage.

Some classmates traveled long distances to be at the reunion...from Michigan, Oklahoma, Georgia, and even from Japan and Bahrain (a husband and wife....the husband is retired Navy, who is now a Naval consultant in Japan, and his wife is a Naval supplies supervisor currently working in Bahrain). The couple have several properties in the state that they wanted to check on, as well as a family event to attend, so the reunion squared nicely with their visit.

Around 9 p.m., the party began to break up, so we left for the campground. Sis had arrived at camp around 5:30 to be with Mother, and see to Shih Tzu's needs, while we were gone. She left shortly after we got back.

We wasted no time after that getting ready for bed.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

Just wondering if you were going to post Saturday's part of the trip?

Sixty Something said...

I did post Saturday's part of the trip, but I noticed I had previous trip posts dated incorrectly. I think I've got it straightened out now.