Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wednesday, June 2

Today, Great-Grandson graduated from eighth grade. Congratulations, Great-Grandson!



We were up around 7:30 this morning, but I skipped my exercises, because I didn't want to get all sweaty and not be able to shower. Last night, shortly before bedtime, I noticed that we had no water. The well pump had quit working.



Hubbie visited a plumbing company, and a plumber said he'd come sometime today. He came before lunch and discovered that the breaker switch was damaged (probably zapped in a lightening storm recently) and needed to be replaced.



We were very glad to have running water again. It's amazing how many things depend on it. We had a plentiful supply of bottled drinking water, but were forced to use buckets of hot tub water to flush the potties.



Mother intended to make strawberry preserves or plum jelly this morning, but no dice without water. I thought about using some of my rubber stamps, but couldn't without a way to wash them afterward. No matter what we started to do, it required water.



So Mother and I spent part of the morning gathering card making stuff for making a congratulations card for Great-Grandson. I also contacted a camera store in the capital city to order darkroom chemicals. They didn't have any, so they are searching for some and are supposed to call when they locate them. If they fail to locate any, I think I can do an online search and find some. The only thing is, the camera store gives me a teacher's discount, which I probably wouldn't be able to get if I order on my own.



After that, I helped Hubbie make reservations at the campground where we camped last week. We had planned to camp at a private campground next week...one that is midway between the capital city and the town where we will attend Niece's wedding. But when Hubbie called to make reservations, he learned that the campground will have no sites available in the foreseeable future, because they will be occupied by highway construction crews. Phooey. No fair.



While I was at the computer, I uploaded class reunion photos to the one-hour service.



After lunch, Mother made the congratulations card, while Hubbie and I ran errands...to a grocery store for cottage cheese, to the newspaper office to pick up last week's editions, and to the WDCS for several more items that Mother needed, plus cypress mulch for the gardens, and the photos I'd ordered. Hubbie also filled the truck with diesel, in anticipation of our trip.



Back home, we didn't accomplish a lot before supper. Supper was a Chinese soup, made with chicken, and veggies like carrots, celery, green onions, and a half package of slaw mix that needed to be used. The recipe included fresh ginger, soy sauce, chicken broth, and Ramen noodles. It was very good.



Mother went home after supper, and Hubbie and I settled in to watch TV. We started with a Lifetime Network movie called, "Time and Again." A housing renovation contractor (a woman) is so involved in her work that she neglects her family. She fails to pick up snacks for her young daughter's team, so the father agrees to get them on the way to the ball game. They are killed in an accident on the way, and the woman is guilt-ridden. Then she inherits a house and seven acres from her great aunt. There, she finds a mysterious music box. Strange things happen after that.



Note: after lunch today, I was standing near the sliding glass door leading out to the sun room, and happened to glance Shih Tzu wandering in the backyard. Hubbie was standing beside me...so why was blind and deaf Shih Tzu in the yard unattended?



Seems Hubbie had taken her into the front yard to do her business, and then got distracted putting the cover back onto the wellhouse and doing other things and forgot about her. I don't know how long she was outside, but she had managed, flanked by two cats, to wander around the house to the backyard. My heart went into my throat. What if she had wandered onto the highway, instead? Needless to say, I was less than thrilled with Hubbie's lack of presence of mind!

Tonight, we have an unhappy cat. Hubbie was instructed by the vet's office to confine her, so she won't be able to eat or drink anything after 5 p.m., because she is to be spayed in the morning. She has two kittens who are weaned to kitten food, so she has come in heat again. We don't want another batch of kittens out of her.

0 comments: