Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sunday, May 13

Today is Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all the ladies in my family.

Up late, around 8 a.m., and skipped my exercises again, since it's Sunday and Mother's Day. Hubbie and I had a light breakfast, because we planned to go to a local restaurant for lunch at noon. The first thing Hubbie did was present me with a beautiful card and a pair of stud earrings. They are so pretty that they will become my new everyday earrings.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 10:30. She was a bit unhappy, because she'd forgotten to either make me a Mother's Day card or have Hubbie buy one for me. I assured her that it was unimportant, and she should not worry herself about it.

My gift to her included a homemade card, along with a new jigsaw puzzle featuring cats, a bottle of her favorite body wash/shampoo, and some intimate apparel.

Around 11:30, we went to the restuarant, where lunch was a buffet. It was a beautiful sunny day, and we were seated at a table for four overlooking the river and dam.

For Mother, I fixed a plate of her favorites...fried chicken, fried okra, and macaroni and cheese. I learned later that fried okra and macaroni and cheese are Son's favorites, too, and now we know how he acquired his preference! I chose roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, some of the okra, green beans, corn, and salad. Hubbie went for ham, dressing, and veggies.

Afterward, our waiter brought a strawberry pie dessert. Mother and I shared a single serving. Between the two of us, we were not able to eat the whole dessert, so I passed it to Hubbie. The waiter said the cook, a woman, only prepares this once a year, on Mother's Day. It was good, but I mainly ate the strawberries and let Hubbie have the pie crust and filling.

Back home, we changed clothes, and then went back to the river for today's Civil War battle. Mother, who declined to go yesterday, decided she wanted to go today. We took the wheelchair and found a shady spot under a tree that was close to the action. The cannons and guns were loud again. Today was different from yesterday in that some of the Confederate soldiers sneaked through the crowd and hid behind trees in their advance toward the Union side of the battlefield. Today, too, a woman, in Civil War era regalia, ran onto the battleground, brandishing a repeater pistol. Single-handedly, she mowed down several of the Union soldiers. The Confederate soldiers finished off the rest by rifle, and in hand-to-hand combat. The victory went to the Confederates today, as I suspected it would, since the Union side won yesterday.

The battle wasn't as long today, either, which was good, since Mother would have been exhausted by more. At home, we relaxed a while, and then Mother clipped coupons for Granddaughter, before she opened her new jigsaw puzzle to sort and complete the border. By this time, she complained of a slight headache and was ready to go home, so I accompanied her. Ordinarily, this would be shower night for her, but she preferred to wait until tomorrow evening.

Hubbie and I spent the rest of the evening watching one-hour shows on TV.

Note: Mother and I were both pleased to get Mother's Day phone calls from my two sons. We really enjoyed talking to them, which helped make for a wonderful day.

0 comments: