Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesday, May 15

Halfway through May already! Time just keeps speeding up.

Slept late, until 8 a.m., and then did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Fixed Mother a package of Ramen Noodle soup, and then got ready for the day.

Didn't accomplish much else before noon. At 11:30, Hubbie and I went to the hospital to attend a luncheon and lecture on osteoporosis. I was afraid there wouldn't be many men in the audience, but there were several. In fact, when we arrived, we sat at an empty table, and before we knew it four men joined us. So I was at a table with five men!

Guess the topic was of interest to the male population, too...or maybe it was the free lunch. Today, we had chicken salad, broccoli salad, and fruit salad, and a choice of water, tea, or soft drink.

The doctor who spoke was interesting. Of course, I already know I have all the risk factors for osterporosis...a relative (Mother) who has it, being over the age of 65, post menopausal, female, and caucasian, and having smoked in the past. But my last bone density scan, at age 65, showed that my bones are normal, so my next scan won't be until I'm 80.

On the plus side, I take adequate calcium and vitamin D, drink milk and orange juice, eat a low-sodium diet, skip the caffeine, watch the amount of meat I eat, and exercise. That's all I can do, so unless I show symptoms, I'm not going to worry about it.

After the luncheon, we ran errands...to the bank, to a vet's office, to a farm store, and to the WDCS (to pick up another batch of photos, after Hubbie lost the others yesterday). Back home, I accompanied Mother to our house, where she sliced veggies for supper...yellow and zuchinni squash, green onions, and bell pepper, and cubed baked potatoes from last night's meal.

At 3 p.m., we went to the beauty shop for haircuts. We were back home by 3:30, and around 4 p.m., I began supper preparations...sauteed the cabbage, squashes, and potatoes, which I served with biscuits and a choice of peach preserves for Mother and honey for Hubbie and me.

Afterward, I accompanied Mother to her house, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, including the elimation episode of "Dancing With the Stars." The one who was eliminated is the one I wanted to see make it to the finals. Phoey.

We also watched a 2006 movie called, "Apocalypto," a subtitled film directed by Mel Gibson about the decline of the Mayan civilization. A peaceful tribe is overrun and slaughtered by a violent rival tribe. Whoever is not killed is rounded up and marched into slavery. The members of the ruling tribe decide that building more temples and offering human sacrifices will bring prosperity...the sacrifices being chosen from among the male captives. A total eclipse of the sun ends the scrifices, but the tribe isn't done. They turn the remaining men loose to try to flee to the jungle before they are killed by arrows and spears. Only one young man manages to escape in an attempt to avoid his fate. But the pursuing tribe still isn't done. Intense surprises continue. Violent, tense movie.

0 comments: