Monday, September 17, 2012

Friday, Sept. 14

Up at 6:30 to go to the pool. Cool enough this morning to wear my fleece outfit. Twenty-six of us attended today. The water was warm and wonderful. Hope it stays that way.

Back home, Hubbie called the computer shop and learned that the laptop charger is still not in...drat it! This means it will be sometime next week before we can get it.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house mid-morning. She relaxed while I got ready for the day. As usual, it was noon by the time I was dressed.

After lunch, Mother napped, of course, while Hubbie and I ran errands. First, we stopped by the college where I swim, to tour an art gallery exhibit. The artist, a Hispanic, who was born in another country, but has lived in the U.S. for many years, centered his work around not really knowing what his identity is. Is he a citizen of his homeland, a citizen of America, or something in between? Each piece compared and contrasted his conflict. Very interesting.

From there, we went to a grocery store to pick up Mother's favorite brand of yogurt, for which we had a coupon that Hubbie forgot to present to the clerk. The clerk advised us to go to the customer service counter, where we would be given fifty cents for the coupon. However, the clerk there gave us a dollar. We're not sure why.

Then we went to a bank, where I bought season tickets to upcoming events at the college down the road from us.

From there, we went to a shoe store, where I hoped to buy new athletic shoes suited to wearing in the swimming pool. One of the members said the store had this kind of shoe on sale. But obviously my idea of a sale and hers aren't the same, because I don't intend to pay thirty or forty dollars for shoes to wear in water!

After that, we stopped by a department store, where I used a $10 coupon to buy a couple of on-sale, three-quarter length sleeve, plaid shirts. At the checkout counter, the clerk rang up the total for more than I thought was right. I asked about it, and she said I'd received a discount with the coupon, but I pointed out that the shirts were already on sale, and I should get another $10 off. I showed her the sale sign on the rack, and she immediately changed the total. Customers have to be vigilant to get discounts, because often either the register doesn't show the right price, or the clerk is unaware.

Our last stop was the WDCS for a few grocery items and a baq of cat food.

At home, Mother finished her nap, and went to the kitchen to help me prepare supper by chopping onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers for omelets. She also mixed leftover mashed potatoes with egg substitute, flour, and spices, for potato patties, and grated Monterey Jack cheese for the omelets.

It was my job to put egg mixture and veggies in freezer bags to be boiled, saute' the potato patties, and make toast. The potato patties cooked beautifully in my new saute' pan. In my old pans, the patties always stuck.

After supper, I accompanied Mother home, and I waited for her to take a shower before I returned home. Hubbie and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV.

0 comments: