Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday, Sept. 18

Up at 6:30, so I could get ready for a doctor appointment at 9 a.m. Today, I was to have a fasting lab test, so I couldn't eat anything after midnight. Also, I'd made appointments for the three of us to get our annual flu shots this morning.

We arrived at the clinic around 8:45, and even at that early hour, all the handicapped spaces were full, so Hubbie stopped in front of the door, so we could get Mother into her wheelchair.

At the reception area, I was told I would receive my flu shot at the same time I met with my doctor, but Mother and Hubbie would be called back presently. In a few minutes, a nurse appeared and told us all to go back. I reported what the receptionist said, and she assured me she could take care of it. She's the head nurse, and someone we've known for years, so I don't doubt she can override the office staff.

Following our shots (Mother hates shots, but suffered it quietly today) she and Hubbie were directed to the waiting room, while I was ushered to an exam room. "So you're here because of flu symptoms?" asked the nurse.

I was puzzled. "No, I don't have flu." Then the light dawned. "Oh!" I said, "I made an appointment for a flu shot."

The nurse laughed. "The info here says flu symptoms. The receptionist got it wrong." New people in the receptionist area, I guess, because when I got recorded messages yesterday confirming our appointments, they stated that all of us were to meet with our doctors, when only I was scheduled. I alerted the nurse to that today, and she said all but mine had been corrected.

I was pleased that my blood pressure registered at 124/66, and my pulse was 64.

During the time I was with the doctor, I presented her with photos I'd taken of her performing with a group of Zumba dancers at a local river carnival. She really appreciated them.

She said that she loves doing the dance/exercise routines, because she has always loved to dance, but her husband does not. So this is an outlet for her. She said that when she was in college, she was part of a dance group, and even choreographed dance routines. But then she stopped, when she realized she wanted to pursue a career in medicine.

Somehow, we also got on the subject of organizing our homes. She said she was messy as an only child, but now she is disturbed by clutter. Her husband and children love to clutter, so every weekend, she is busy de-cluttering their home.

She is expecially disturbed by her attorney husband's very messy home office. This year, as a Mother's Day gift, her husband surprised her by organizing his office.

When the doctor came into the exam room, I was playing with my e-reader. She asked if I was a tekkie. I told her that I am absolutely not...I know enough to operate our four-remote TV, the two computers, my cell phone, and the e-reader, which neither Hubbie nor Mother are able to do, but I'm far, far, from being saavy. She said the little computer she's required to use at work is about all she knows how to handle...her husband takes care of the rest. There always seems to be one person in the household to whom the operation of electronics falls, simply because the others are completely baffled.

Everything seems to be okay with me, so I ended the visit by stopping by the lab for a blood draw, one of my favorite things to do (not). And now I have a big bruise in the crook of my elbow, the result of drawing four vials of blood.

Afterward, since I was very hungry, and Mother had had only toast at 5 a.m. this morning, we decided to have breakfast at the new hospital cafeteria in the new wing.

The entrance area in that wing is very pleasing, featuring a little corner area that simulates a cozy front porch, with several white rocking chairs.

The cafeteria is pleasing, too...airy and spacious, with an al fresco dining area, featuring round tables with black umbrellas, just outside the main dining room. Polished wood is evident everywhere, on the floors, on the tables and booths, and in the decorations.

Meals are served buffet style from sparkling clean islands. There's a wide variety of items that include healthy choices, though we didn't opt for "healthy" today. We chose biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and bacon, with coffee. The price is certainly right...all four meals cost $4.25.

Back home, Mother relaxed, while Hubbie and I ran errands...to a roadside vendor to buy yellow squash and tomatoes; to the library to return DVDs and select four more; to the newspaper to drop off this week's word search puzzle contest; to the bank; to the pharmacy; and to the the WDCS.

At home again, the three of us prepared a pork roast for the slow cooker...Hubbie peeled and cut potatoes, while Mother fixed the onions, garlic, carrots, and yellow squash. Then I browned the meat with spices, and put it and the veggies in the slow cooker, along with more spices, and a can each of low-sodium chicken broth and beef broth.

Spent the rest of the afternoon doing this and that. Our supper later, served with gravy made from the roast drippings and more beef broth, and individual cups of applesauce, was yummy. Accompanied Mother home afterward, and waited for her to take a shower before returning home.

Hubbie and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV, including a PBS episode of "Wallander," a British detective, who solves murders.

Note: at the library, I asked the librarian if more people are visiting and checking things out in this economy. She said that lots of folks have had to drop cable and satellite services, so that now about 3,000 people a month check out DVD movies, and 2,000 frequent the computers. And now that the library has e-book capabilities, this is popular, too.

Of course, regular books and audiobooks remain popular, along with programs for children, and movie showings for pre-teens and teens...all free. Recently, a book club was formed, too, though I don't know how many members it has. I thought about joining, but don't think Hubbie would appreciate my getting involved in another activity that would occupy my time and take me away from home some more. He wouldn't object, but I just don't think it would be fair to him.



















0 comments: