Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday, March 15

March 15...The Ides of March, which is the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated in 44 BC (beware the Ides of March). It's also a March Madness day for basketball tournaments. March is an interesting word, e.g., the march of time, the wedding march, March of Dimes, patriotic march, marching band, March comes in like a lion, etc.

We were up around 7:30 this morning, so Hubbie could get ready to go to a plant dig at the home of a Master Gardener. The group is digging plants to offer for sale at their annual plant sale, scheduled for sometime in April.

Before he left around 8:30, he checked on Mother. She is still nursing a cold, but she's okay. She opted to stay home today, though.

After breakfast, I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises, then got ready for the day. Then I gathered food for Mother's lunch and took it to her. As I was visiting, Hubbie returned, just after 11 a.m.

We waited to have our lunch until after we went to the new athletic area to watch a young man begin a two and a half year trip through all forty-nine states. I wanted to take pictures of the event. The young man is 21 years old and enthusiastic about his adventure.

Both of his sets of grandparents were on hand, none of whom are as enthusiastic as the young man about the trip. They are hoping he will abandon the venture after a time. The young man is doing the trip for charity, and he enlisted several sponsors, as demonstrated by patches sewn to his western shirt.

We talked briefly to the young man, who hopes to travel 20 miles a day. His route is already mapped out, and I'm sure local folks have alerted media along the way, and have contacted people who will be willing to board him and his horse from time-to-time, though he'll no doubt be spending time under the stars, as well.

I'm sure his grandparents hope he'll be ready to come home before he reaches the desert southwest. I can't imagine crossing a desert!

I felt sorry for a mule tied up nearby. The animal was pawing and desperately trying to get loose. We were told the mule is a pasture pal to the horse that will be making the trip. His owner said he'll probably need to keep the mule in a barn for a couple of weeks, until it adjusts.

Reporters from a regional TV station, and our local newspaper were on hand to cover the event.

Before the main rider, and a group that was to ride with him for about five miles, left the area, I spied a platform with stairs that I though would make a great vantage point for taking pictures, so Hubbie and I went there. Hubbie was grateful for a place to sit, after we'd stood around for about half and hour.

As I finished snapping shots from the platform, the local newspaper reporter came up and commented that I'd found a good place to take pictures. I offered to email a few of them to the newspaper, if she wanted. So she gave me her email address, and as soon as we got back home, I sent several to her.

Back home, after Hubbie and I had PB&J sandwiches, Hubbie watched tournament basketball, and I spent time uploading pics from this afternoon to my social network page, and then read my novel.

Later, I put potatoes in the oven to bake. I strained my brain tonight trying to think of something for supper, and finally decided on barbecued pork and coleslaw, with the potatoes, which meant that Hubbie went to pick up the meat, slaw mix, and buns. I recorded the ball game on DVR while he was gone.

When the potatoes had baked, around 4:30, I heated a hot dog for Mother, and then we took the meal to her house so she wouldn't have to eat alone.

We came back home shortly after supper, though, so Hubbie could finish watching his game. When the game finished, we watched one-hour shows.





0 comments: