Friday, July 11, 2014

Friday, July 11

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to water aerobics. For the past week or so, a road crew has been working right at the intersection of the road where I normally turn to go to the gym. So I've been forced to drive through the parking lot in front of the college chapel to get to the road leading to the parking lot near the gym.


It was cloudy and a bit muggy this morning, but pretty nice for walking to the gym. The pool, however, was a bit chilly today, though it was okay once I got used to it. A dozen of us attended the session.


Funny: during the session, the leader instructed..."touch your toes, ladies, and if you can't touch your own, touch someone else's."


Back home afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and she went to her jigsaw puzzle, while I got ready for the day. In the meantime, Hubbie ran errands and met an appointment for a haircut. Since his barber died, he has been using the same hairdresser as I do.


Once I was dressed, it was close to 11:30, so I prepared lunch.


Afterward, around 1 p.m., I took Mother to meet a doctor's appointment. She has had problems with overgrown tough toenails. She had this problem once before, and it was necessary to visit a podiatrist. Today we learned that she needs to again.


I haven't seen Mother's feet in a few months, so I had no idea how much her toenails had grown...so much so that they are curled over her other toes. I don't know why she didn't alert me to this earlier. I would have known it if I was still helping her bathe, but she insisted some time ago that she wanted to take care of herself.


After I saw her feet at the doctor's office, I felt terrible.. like I've been absolutely neglectful. As thick as her nails are, it's doubtful I could have trimmed them, anyway...even the doctor couldn't deal with them...but I could have seen she got help sooner. After she sees the podiatrist, I'll be more observant, and insist on inspecting her feet from time-to-time. Mother's toes aren't giving her any pain, but they sure are unsightly.


While we were gone, Hubbie took the truck to the shop for an oil change. We arrived in our driveway at the same time after Mother and I returned from her appointment, and Hubbie got back from the shop.


Hubbie said he discovered something unusual while he was gone, and when he opened the back of the truck, I heard a cat wailing. Hubbie coaxed it out, and I saw that it was our black yard cat. We don't know when she got in there...maybe a couple of days ago. We're so glad the temperature has been moderate for a few days. She might have perished if the temp had risen into the high 90s, as it typically does in July here in the south.


We didn't accomplish anything for the rest of the afternoon. For supper, we put together a breakfast casserole. Mother sliced mushrooms, onions, and bell pepper, which I sautéed. She also diced leftover potatoes, and a slice of ham. We layered the potatoes and ham, the seasoned sautéed veggies, egg substitute, French bread that I had crumbed in the blender, and Monterey Jack cheese that Mother had shredded. Baked the dish at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.


I heated white gravy left from yesterday, and baked a can of biscuits. Served the meal with a side of sliced cantaloupe, and cups of coffee.


Mother was ready to go home shortly afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her. Later, I went to her house and put drops in her eyes.


Then we continued binge watching "The Good Wife" episodes.












0 comments: