Saturday, July 12, 2014

Saturday, July 12

We were up at 7 a.m. so we could get ready to go to the monthly downtown farmer's market at the pocket park. This is a new endeavor by the downtown merchants association to lure folks to main street downtown.



We left the house at 7:30, and arrived downtown in time to snag one of the new pull-in parking spaces right in front of the pocket park. So it was fairly convenient to get Mother into her wheelchair. There is a low curb there, but Hubbie was able to lift the chair over it. I'm thinking I need to contact the powers that be to suggest they add a curb cut and some handicap spaces in that area.


Lots of folks had, like us, arrived early and were already milling around the pocket park, even though the vendors were still setting up.




Aside from locally grown/organic vegetables, there were also homemade jams and jellies, homemade breads and pastries, flowers, handmade jewelry, and other goods. I was tempted by a loaf of sun-dried tomato bread, but opted against it, since I figured Sis might make this kind.




I did buy a one-dollar box of small yellow squash, a couple of cucumbers, and a baggie of organic lemon-berry muffins. I bought the muffins, because they were being sold by a couple of little girls...daughters of a woman I know from Caring Hands Hospice.




In chatting with her, I learned that after she had her baby a few years ago, she began cooking organic, because the baby had some sort of stomach problem. The pediatrician said she could prescribe medication, or the mother could try organic cooking. She opted for organic, and the baby's problem soon disappeared.




After visiting the farmer's market, we went to the hospital cafeteria for breakfast, where we got scrambled eggs, a biscuit and gravy, and bacon, plus cups of coffee. Cost: a little over $5 total for the three of us.




We were back home by 9:30. I set up a new jigsaw puzzle for Mother to work on, and Hubbie went out to the yard. I spent my time planning meals and making lists for a future trip.




We weren't hungry by lunchtime. Around 1 p.m. Hubbie and I ate muffins, orange juice, and coffee. Mother only wanted coffee.




After lunch, Hubbie and I went to get the truck washed, because we had a $7 coupon for the automatic service, acquired as part of a prize at a Literacy Council bingo event recently. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be interested in going to a car wash, but Hubbie seemed reluctant to go alone, so I assured him it was just the thing I wanted to do.




Even after the wash, though, there were still streaks of dirt on the truck...tree sap, really, which isn't easy to remove. So when we got back home, Hubbie had to get out the old bucket and brush to finish the job.


I spent a lazy afternoon reading the newspaper, and a novel on my e-tablet. I had really meant to snap and cook beans for the freezer this afternoon, but forgot them. Guess now I'll wait until Monday.


For supper, we had leftover ham and beans, sautéed zucchini squash, and sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, along with a choice of cornbread or biscuits.


Mother was ready to go home shortly afterward, so Hubbie accompanied her.
















0 comments: